Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Web 2.0 tools and Excited Teachers

Last week I had the opportunity to travel to C.B. Eller Elementary School which is located in the Wilkes County School System.  As soon as I walked into the front door of the school, I could feel the happiness and excitement of a new school year about to begin. 

I started by showing examples of the project based learning assignments that my students worked on last year.  I explained how my students worked on PBL assignments not only with students in our classroom, but also with students across the state and abroad.  I then walked them through many of the Web 2.0 tools that my students used such as: ooVoo, Voki, blabberize, eduglogster, kidblog, and edmodo.  Once I had finished speaking, the fun part began.  The principal of C.B. Eller gave all of the teachers time to work within their grade level and create a lesson using one of the Web 2.0 tools that I had showed them.  That way each teacher was able to walk away from the meeting with a new tool that they could use in their classrooms.

If someone would have walked into the media center while all of the teachers were working on their Web 2.0 tools, they would have thought they had walked into some sort of a party.  The laughter, noises, and excitement was enough to put a smile on anyone's face.   

As I left the school that day I found myself thinking about how lucky the students of C.B. Eller are to have such excited and wonderful teachers.  Teachers who are more then willing to go above and beyond to make the classroom engaging and motivating.  Teachers who are not afraid of change or technology, but instead realize that this is the direction that the world is headed.  And most of all teachers who care about their students success.

No comments:

Post a Comment