Friday, December 14, 2012

Holiday Greetings


    As I sit at my computer this morning, I can't believe its already the holiday season! I'm sure many of you are asking, “Where has the time gone?” It feels like just yesterday I was starting my NC Teacher of the Year travels and now I am almost to the halfway point. I cannot believe how fast the year is flying by!
   While I travel from the mountains to the sea, I hear from teachers who are frustrated with the new curriculum and the many hurdles that they have to climb over. This is completely understandable, but I want you to know that you are not alone. This is a difficult year to be a teacher not only in North Carolina but also in the United States because of the changes in curriculum, assessment, and evaluations. However, I think frustrations are to be expected when change is present. Change and frustrations help us to step outside of our comfort zones and look at teaching from a different view. Is it difficult?  Yes, of course it is. But, just think of where we were in August and how far we have already come this school year. 
   As I cross the state, I see teachers who are determined to do whatever it takes to help their students succeed. I have watched amazing Common Core lessons where the students are learning, understanding, and having fun. I have talked with teachers who are so passionate about teaching that they are willing to collaborate with teachers across the state, so their students can be more successful. But what stands out the most, is the countless number of teachers who remember that our focus is and should always be on our students. Students are the reason we as teachers go to school each day. Students are the ones who bring a smile to our faces. Students are the ones who helped us to realize that teaching was the career that we were meant to do. 
   It can be easy to get caught up in the day-to-day changes that are happening in our career. But I want to challenge each of you, to continue to focus on our students. Our students are our futures. And from the students in your classrooms, schools and across the state I want to say, "Thank you for everything you do each day!"
   I hope each of you have a wonderful holiday season with your friends, families, and loved ones. Please remember if there is anything I can do to help you, you can contact me at darcygrimesnctoy@gmail.com.
   Thank you again for everything you do each day for the students of North Carolina! – 2012-13 NC Teacher of the Year Darcy Grimes

No comments:

Post a Comment