Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Elementary Task Force Committee

On Thursday, February 20th I also spent time in Raleigh working with several Deans of the College of Education from various Universities and Colleges across North Carolina and several people who work at the Department of Public Instruction. We had many great discussions on how to prepare preservice teachers for the classroom.  

After the meeting I walked to the elevator where I was stopped by an older man.  He looked at me and laughed and asked, "Are you even old enough to work here?"  I was very taken aback at first.  I choose my words very carefully and then said, "Hi, I am Darcy Grimes and I am the North Carolina Teachers of the Year."  I then stuck out my hand to shake his.  He looked at my hand, make a humph sound, and said, "You mean you are old enough to teach others."  I smiled and said, "Yes, I look young but last year I taught 3rd graders how to collaborate and learn with others across the world.  And this year I have the opportunity to work with the amazing teachers we have across our state."  At that point he rolled his eyes and walked away.

I am writing about this today, because it was a great reminder to me.  I was reminded that although we are often judged by what we look like, it is how we react and what we do each day that matters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment