Wednesday, April 17, 2013

College Access Conference

On Thursday, March 21st I had the opportunity to speak at Appalachian State University at their 1st Annual College Access Conference.  As I was driving to ASU, I was unsure of what to expect.  However, once I arrived I realized how exciting this day was going to be.  It began with a wonderful breakfast for all of the attendees which included middle school and high school teachers, guidance counselors, principals and professors from ASU.  Once breakfast was over I began my keynote by showing them a picture of Bethel.  (I start every speech that I give this way.  This is my way of sharing Bethel with everyone I meet.)  Once I showed them pictures of the school I began discussing how it is important to teach our students the skills they need for success through global education.  I shared many of the projects that my students worked on with other classes abroad.  Everyone seemed so excited!  I was thrilled to see so many educators excited about Global Education.

Once my keynote was over we started our breakout sessions.  My session included sitting on a panel with the NC Counselor of the Year Chrsity Welch (from Mabel which is also in the western part of Watauga) and Diana Beasley who is a past NC Teacher of the Year and works at ASU.  It was exciting to be on a panel with such amazing people!

Thank you for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment