Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Freedom Trail Elementary School

I traveled to Avery County to visit Freedom  Trail Elementary School located in Avery County.  I had such a wonderful time!  It was amazing to see the students using ipads (they are 1:1), collaborating together, and creating projects!  The students were so excited and it was apparent that they were learning!

The Press Release is below: 



Darcy Grimes North Carolina Teacher of the Year 2012-13 visits Freedom
Trail Elementary School

Darcy Grimes, the North Carolina Teacher of the Year 2012-13 spent the
day observing and interacting with students and teachers at Freedom Trail
Elementary School last Friday, April 5th. Ms. Grimes has spent the past
year visiting various schools across the state in order to better advocate
for educators. She is a third grade teacher at Bethel Elementary School in
Watauga County which gives her a special connection to Freedom Trail
students and families. When the Beech Mountain School closed students made
a choice to attend either Freedom Trail Elementary or Bethel Elementary
Schools. Ms. Grimes was so impressed with the families and students from
Beech Mountain, that she wanted to visit the school system they had
attended. Ms. Grimes was just as impressed with FTE stating that she had
observed some of the best teachers and classrooms in the state.

Ms. Grimes met with the teachers and was able to offer a time of question
and answers as well as sharing her reasons for being a teacher. Perhaps the
conversation with Lily and Ms. Grimes explains it best.

“Is teaching hard, Ms. Grimes?” asked Lily, a third grade student.
“Well, for me teaching is exciting! I look forward to coming to school
every day to build relationships with our class. I love learning with you
and making each day exciting and fun. Yes, teaching can take up a lot of
time creating a learner centered classroom, but all of the time I spend is
worth it when I see the excitement on your faces. I love what I do every
day and it doesn’t feel like work.” Lily said, “When I become a teacher I
         hope I’m like you and it doesn’t feel hard for me either.”

No comments:

Post a Comment