Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Carver Elementary School

On the afternoon of April 16th I visited Carver Elementary School that is located in Vance County.  I arrived at the school earlier then I had planned so I sat in the parking lot looking at Twitter.  Suddenly I heard a knock on my window and saw Randy Oxendine (who I had met earlier that year at NCCAT).  I jumped out of the car and asked him what he was doing here!  He laughed and said that he was the PE teacher at this school.  I told him I had totally forgot that and that I was coming to visit.  I was so excited and I love when this happens!  I spend most of my time traveling across the state to schools and meetings where I don't recognize anyone, let alone know anyone.  So, I love when I see someone I know!  Especially when it is 5+ hours away from where I originally met them!

After briefly talking Randy took me into the school and introduced me to the principal. The principal gave me a tour of the school.  He showed me the cafeteria and explained to me that this is where the classes have PE when it is raining outside.  I looked at him and said...what?  He then explained to me that this elementary school does NOT have a gym.  He told me that Randy takes the students outside for PE but has to use the cafeteria when it is rainy.  I was shocked! I could not believe we have a school in NC that does not have a gym.  I also could not believe that even though I had spent a week with Randy at NCCAT he never complained.  He never once told me that he was a PE teacher at a school that did not have gym. I think this says a lot about Randy.  He is an outstanding teacher who cares about his students and is willing to do what it takes for them to be healthy and successful, despite the resources.  He is not one to complain (obviously) and instead looks at the best of every situation.  Randy and his students deserve a gym.  I am now trying to figure out how to help the students at Carver Elementary School because I can't imagine being a student and not having access to gym!



No comments:

Post a Comment