Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Washington DC- Day 2

When I woke up on Day 2, I couldn't believe that yesterday was only a half a day in DC.  I felt like we packed everything into only a couple of hours that we could.  Which made me excited about what was to come the rest of the week!

Joseph and I went down for breakfast in the dinning room of the hotel.  People to People were the sponsors.  While we eat People to People discussed what they do for students and teachers in the US.  They also shared that because we are now STOYs if we would like to get involved with People to People and chaperone trips then we will be able to do this.  I was so excited about this because I have wanted to go on a trip with People to People since I was little!  When they announced this Joseph looked at me because he knew exactly what I was thinking.

After breakfast the STOYs loaded up in the buses to go to the Smithsonian and Joseph decided to head up to Maryland with his mountain bike. All of the STOYs started in the Smithsonian Castle.  We then were told which session we were going to attend for that day.  I was so excited to find out that I was going to be able to attend my first choice that was on orchids.  We divided up into groups and then headed to our museums.  The orchids exhibit was in the Museum of Natural History. As soon as we walked in the smell of the orchids took over the room.  We all looked at each other and said almost at the same time, "Do you smell that?".  It was amazing!

We then spent some time looking and taking pictures of all of the orchids.  There were hundreds of different types.  The 3 ladies who worked at the museum then taught us more about the orchids.  For example that vanilla is an orchid.  Who knew?  I had such a great time!


(insert pictures)

After we learned more about the orchids we then gave feedback to the museum staff about how more schools across the United States could get involved.  As a group we came up with a really neat idea of having a virtual garden for students.

Once finished all of the STOYs came back to the Smithsonian Castle for lunch and to listen to the guest speakers.  It was so neat to hear up about all of the different sessions that the STOYs participated in.  I wanted to do them all!  If only we had more time!

We then went straight from the Smithsonian Castle to the Vice President's Residence at the Naval Observatory .  I was so excited!  We pulled up and security got on the bus and checked all of our ids.  I couldn't believe we were in the driveway!  Really, while I am writing this I still can't believe!  We were all checked in and then went through a security checkpoint before we entered.  While we were waiting in line we were all taking pictures with the house in the background and next to the VP seal.  I took a ton of pictures!  We entered the Vice President Residence and Dr. Jill Biden welcomed us one by one by shaking our hands and thanking us for coming.  She then spoke to us and thanked us for being a teacher.  I then found out that SHE is a teacher!  Dr. Jill Biden teaches at a community college and is the first second lady to hold a paying job while her husband is in office.  She was so down to earth and it made so much sense once I found out she was a teacher!

From there we were able to walk around the house and have our pictures taken with Dr. Jill Biden.  They also had a reception set up for us that included potato chips, grilled cheese, and vegetables.  I remember thinking my 3rd graders will love that I am eating grilled cheese at the Vice President's house!

Afterwards Dr. Jill Biden showed us around the grounds including the pool, garden, and front yard.  A couple of us took pictures on the swing in the front yard and then we took a whole group picture. It was amazing!

(insert pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment